Monday, July 29, 2013

Creating Your Own Reality - Help with Insomnia

For years, I had almost nightly insomnia. I still have occasional bouts where, as I've heard many people describe it, my brain “simply won't shut up!” On these nights, I have developed a mental exercise that has helped me. I thought it would be a good idea to share it, since I know many people have this problem. It has come to my attention that when you have a brain that is overactive, training it to “chew” on something else is the key. So, I created this bit of “mental bubblegum” and it works really well!

Visualize yourself at the top of a very tall staircase. It is three flights big, each flight comprised of 100 stairs. There are two mid-point landings between the stairs where the stairs themselves take a 90 degree turn from the last flight. The stairs themselves can be made out of any type of wood, stone or metal of your choosing. Mine are marble with lovely hand carved wooden railings beside them. Around the stairs, is a combination art museum and library and as you walk down the stairs, you're going between floors. Usually about 2-3 floors per flight of 100 stairs.

Counting backward from 100, slowly take the stairs and upon each stair, pause a moment to look around at the beautiful artwork and amazing volumes of knowledge that are placed artistically all around you. See what kind of wood or metal or stone the book shelves are made of and what color the frames on the artwork are or who created the sculptures in your museum. Notice the color of the walls, any windows that exist. Are the windows plain or stained glass? Are they tinted or is your museum and library enclosed completely?

Here is the key though – and a sometimes frustrating part of the game:

You have to keep count of which stair you're on and on which flight of stairs you're on at any given moment. If you lose track, you have to go back to the beginning at the top of the staircase and start again.

What you're doing is giving both sides of your brain something to do.  The left brain is busy counting while the right brain is busy looking at art!  This exercise is not only a game for your brain, but it is also a great self-examination exercise. You'll find that depending on your mood, the décor will change. The artwork will shift and the books will change topic and volume. You'll learn to tell a great deal about yourself by the colors of your walls and windows, the materials of your staircase, etc. These are all little keys to self-knowledge that are really helpful.  

I found in keeping track of my meditations of this sort, that several things became true for me. 1) It was rare that I actually made it down all three flights of 100 stairs before I fell asleep. 2) What type of activity my brain was focused on would be largely determined to change the museum pieces and library portions would often increase and decrease in number of layers if my mind was particularly cluttered. 3) On the rare occasion I didn't fall asleep by the bottom flight, I generally was asleep by the second run of the stairs.

One other key is to pause – but keep your count – with each stair. The pause is yourself taking a breath, a moment to observe the world around you and not just “run the stairs” as you would for basic cardio-exercise. This also translates in the conscious world to “stopping to smell the roses” and if you find that a greenhouse or garden works better for you than an art museum and library, go for it. But the point is to give your mind several different things to “chew” on instead of itself or your day to day problems.


Let me know how it goes for you! I always love hearing other people's stories! Good luck and better rest!   

No comments:

Post a Comment